Friday, November 13, 2009

Technology Anyone?

As I was driving to State College yesterday for a meeting I passed an interesting site on my way through Big Valley. It caught my attention enough to stop and be a tourist on the way home, clicking a few pictures. One of these accompanies this post. At first this caught me off guard since it is an odd clash of modern technologies coupled with a very old practice. Does this mean one or the other doesn't belong? Maybe, maybe not, I'll let you decide for yourself. However as I thought about this I thought each farm has this mixture to some extent, new practices and technologies mixed with remnants of the past. The only step is then to identify each. I think this may be an interesting practice for all of us to look at both on and off the farm. What are areas we are excelling in and what areas could use a little polishing. I'm not stating we have to all be immediate adopters of everything that comes down the road, nor am I stating that we leave everything Dad and Grandpa taught us and move on, we simply need a balance that moves us steadily forward. Maybe it's a good time for all of us to think hard about why we do things. Consider what changes may be made, do a small trial and your farm see how it performs. Just like this photo shows, anyone can implement technology on their farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment