Friday, August 21, 2009

Corn Silage Dry Down


I sampled the PDMP plot this morning and I got a result of 31% dry down. That means in the last 4 days it has changed 6%, or 1.5% per day. In all honesty I thought it may be a little faster then that, however if this trend continues we are looking at harvest to start in another 5-6 days. This seems late for typical harvest, however we have had a cooler than normal growing season, so our degree days haven't mounted as fast as typical.


Other observations this morning was that most of the corn was at dent, however very little to any milk line was present.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan, I'll be interested to see if the crop rehydrates with any of the rain over the weekend. In past years, I've noticed rehydration is worse when the crop is dry due to drought and not yet mature naturally and less when the crop has reached the desired level through normal maturation as it has done this year.

    ReplyDelete